Saturday, October 24, 2009

Staying focused...but how?

Change is hard. It’s so much easier to fall into the same old routines, to walk the easy route. I had a Sunday afternoon and evening with no plans. Instead of doing something productive or getting around to something I’d been meaning to do for a long time, I ended up watching television for the majority of the day. I spent a good portion of today doing the same thing. How do you stay focused on your dreams? Trent over at The Simple Dollar re-posted an article from 2007 about personal finance lessons a couple of weeks ago and reading the first one truly did rock me like a hurricane: Every time you buy anything, you sacrifice a bit of your dreams.

What a succinct way to bring things into perspective. When I agree to go out on the town for an expensive evening, I’m pushing my debt-free status back further. And it doesn’t just apply to spending money. While I don’t think that I need to spend every minute of every day wholly focused (because that’s unrealistic), spending time on unproductive activities is keeping me from realizing my dreams. How do you maintain focus?

No comments:

Post a Comment